ESET, the leader in proactive protection against cyber-threats, announced the start of public Beta testing of its flagship products - ESET Smart Security 6 Beta and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 Beta.
The Anti-Theft feature that helps locate missing laptops and monitors activity on stolen devices will be available in both products during the Beta stage to reach as many testers as possible. ESET Beta Program is a final phase in the release process when products are available for testing to the general public. Both ESET Smart Security 6 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 are available for free download.
According to the global Online Security Brand Tracker Survey*PC users are increasingly going mobile – with 63% of internet users connecting to the internet using their laptops and 12% using their netbooks. Moreover, the survey found that the Anti-Theft feature benefits were requested the most.Preventing unauthorized access to a computer is identified as “necessary” or “good to have” by 88% of users, while data theft protection is requested by 84% of users. Additionally, one in six internet users already had first-hand experience with a leak of personal data.
"At ESET’s Technology Division we are excited about introducing the new version of our flagship software - ESET Smart Security 6 Beta and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 Beta – less than a year after the launch of generation 5. We would like to invite our customers to test out the latest Beta versions during the next months,” says ESET Chief Technology Officer Palo Luka.
All of the above findings are good reasons why the Anti-Theft feature has made its way to V6, helping the user to localize and retrieve lost or stolen computer. With the help of Anti-Theft, the user can track the missing computer on a map and watch the activity taking place on it without thieves knowing. In addition, it allows the user to access the gathered information at my.eset.com."At ESET we do not want our customers to pay extra for what we consider an integral part of personal security.
That is why we have added the new features of Anti-Theft and many more benefits at no extra cost to the users of ESET Smart Security 6 when it is released later in 2012,” explains Palo Luka.ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 Beta and ESET Smart Security 6 Beta contain many improved features and benefits, which the users will be able to test out: Improved Personal Firewall and Parental Control, Removable Media Control, Gamer Mode, Antivirus and Antispyware built on the award-winning scanning engine, Cloud-Powered Scanning, Idle-State Scanning and the Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), to name a few.
Selected features and benefits of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 Beta and ESET Smart Security 6 Beta
- Anti-Theft (in the final release, the feature will be available in ESET Smart Security 6 only): Automatically monitors a missing device and displays its position on a map based on visible Wi-Fi networks in range when it comes online. It allows the user to access the gathered information at my.eset.com, allowing him/her to watch the thief via built-in camera without him knowing.
- Personal Firewall (ESET Smart Security 6 Beta only): Prevents unauthorized users accessing the computer and taking advantage of personal data. The users can go online to shop, bank and use social media without worries.
- Parental Control (ESET Smart Security 6 Beta only): With this feature, the user can keep kids safe on the internet and choose which categories of sites to block according to age.
- Idle-State Scanning: Performs in-depth scan when the computer is not being used, aiding system performance and detecting potential inactive threats before they can cause any damage. The new product also performs scans already while downloading files. Conserves computer power when in battery mode by turning off idle-state scanning.
- Scan While Downloading Files: Decreases scanning time by scanning specific file types - such as archives or smartphone updates - already during the download process.